Thursday, March 22, 2007

Don't Quit


My mantra at the moment is don't quit. A few years ago, I had been unemployed for 18 months, the odd days training here and there helped us through, but we began to run out of money. I spoke to friend of mine and asked him if he knew a tame Head Hunter (the recruitment type not the tribal type) who I could chat too before I took up mini cabbing. Well he introduced me to David of Young English associates. David put me straight and told me that I would get something because he had placed people half as good as me.

On Davids wall was a poem and this is what it said

Don’t Quit

When things go wrong as they sometimes will

When the road you are trudging seems all up hill

When funds are low and debts are high

When care is pressing you down a bit

Rest if you must but don’t you quit

Life is queer with its twist and turns

As everyone of us sometimes learns

And many a fellow turns about

When he might have won had he stuck it out

Don’t give up though the pace seems slow

You may succeed with another blow

Often the blow is nearer than

It seems to a faint and faltering man

Often the struggler has given up

When he might have captured the victors cup

And he learned too late when night came down

How close he was to the golden crown

Success is failure turned inside out

The silver tint of the clouds of doubt

And you never can tell how close you are

It maybe near when it seems afar

So stick to the fight when you are hardest hit

Its when things seem worse that you mustn’t quit

I copied it down and re typed it when I got home and have kept it for ten years or so. Last year when I was leaving my old company, I phoned David, only to be told that he had passed away. I said sorry and put the phone down, I now wish that I had told his wife (?) David had made such a difference to my life and my families life, this mantra is said to keep me going every day and also in memory of the man that said don't quit.

1 comment:

kate said...

Hello thanks for your comment. i like your whole dont quit theme. Its so easy to get put of. Im having a bit of quiet time due to feeling incredibly crap about the way my life is going. I try to look at things in a better light its just a bit of a struggle. Thanks for your support and i will try and be more optimistic. ;-)